Remove this ad

quasar

Seasoned Member

Lead

Jan 23 10 6:12 AM

Tags : :

What does salvation or being saved mean and how do we obtain it ?

In the most simple way it can be described is the following:

1.  First of all: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..."  Rom.3:23a.  In other words, we are all separated from God, until...

2.  "...and are justified freely by His grace, through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."  Rom.3:23b.
"God presented Him as a sacrifice of atonement through faith in His blood..."  Rom.3:26a.  In other words, God gave up His Son to shed His blood and die, a sacrificial death, in our place, paying our sin debts in full, past, present and future, for everyone who believes in Him.

3.  "For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."  Jn.3:16.

4.  "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."  Rom.10:9-10.

5.  "And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your salvation.  Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the glory of His name."  Eph.1:13-14.

6.  "For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brothers.  And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified."  Rom.8:29-30.

7.  The Scriptures also tell us the following:  "Whoever believes in Him [Jesus] is not condemned, but whoever does not believe in Him, is condemned already."  Jn.3:18.  Until they confess and believe anytime during their lifetime, as addressed above.

8.  Upon believing/receiving Jesus as our Lord and Savior, He gives/baptizes us with the Holy Spirit, immediately.  Mt.3:11.  Providing us with His promise of our salvation and eternal life. Jn.3:16.  Then, as Peter said, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins."  Acts 2:38.

Please feel free to inquire as to any questions you may have regarding the above.

God bless!

Quasar

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

quasar

Seasoned Member

#1 [url]

Mar 16 10 8:46 PM

What is salvation? What is the Christian doctrine of salvation?

Salvation is deliverance from danger or suffering. To save is to deliver or protect. The word carries the idea of victory, health, or preservation. Sometimes, the Bible uses the words saved or salvation to refer to temporal, physical deliverance, such as Paul’s deliverance from prison (Philippians 1:19).

More often, the word “salvation” concerns an eternal, spiritual deliverance. When Paul told the Philippian jailer what he must do to be saved, he was referring to the jailer’s eternal destiny (Acts 16:30-31). Jesus equated being saved with entering the kingdom of God (Matthew 19:24-25).

What are we saved from? In the Christian doctrine of salvation, we are saved from “wrath,” that is, from God’s judgment of sin (Romans 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:9). Our sin has separated us from God, and the consequence of sin is death (Romans 6:23). Biblical salvation refers to our deliverance from the consequence of sin and therefore involves the removal of sin.

Who does the saving? Only God can remove sin and deliver us from sin’s penalty (2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5).

How does God save? In the Christian doctrine of salvation, God has rescued us through Christ (John 3:17). Specifically, it was Jesus’ death on the cross and subsequent resurrection that achieved our salvation (Romans 5:10; Ephesians 1:7). Scripture is clear that salvation is the gracious, undeserved gift of God (Ephesians 2:5, 8) and is only available through faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12).

How do we receive salvation? We are saved by faith. First, we must hear the gospel—the good news of Jesus’ death and resurrection (Ephesians 1:13). Then, we must believe—fully trust the Lord Jesus (Romans 1:16). This involves repentance, a changing of mind about sin and Christ (Acts 3:19), and calling on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:9-10, 13).

A definition of the Christian doctrine of salvation would be “The deliverance, by the grace of God, from eternal punishment for sin which is granted to those who accept by faith God’s conditions of repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus.” Salvation is available in Jesus alone (John 14:6; Acts 4:12) and is dependent on God alone for provision, assurance, and security.

Quasar

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 17 10 5:13 AM

Just to add a bit.

This passage from the book of acts explains the actual process rather well

Act 2:36  Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37  Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39  For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40  And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Act 2:42  And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43  And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44  And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

Blessings in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ who came in the flesh and now sits at the right hand of our God on high. A confession of faith that the modern Evangelical movement can no longer make!

Quote    Reply   

quasar

Seasoned Member

#3 [url]

Nov 15 11 8:24 AM

[SCROLL TO THE TOP] How do you become a Christian? First of all, you don't become a Christian by joining a church, adopting a creed, or by believing in God. There are lots of false churches, false creeds, and even the devil believes in God. Becoming a Christian means you need to understand what the real issues are. Let's take a look.

Jesus

Hopefully, you've already read the page on Jesus. But by way of review, Jesus is the most important figure in all of human history. He is God in flesh (John 1:1,14; Col. 2:9), physically risen from the dead (John 2:19-21), Lord (Luke 24:34), and Savior (Acts 5:30-32). He came to die for sinners (Rom. 5:8) and to deliver people from the righteous wrath of God upon us.

Are you a sinner?

I ask you, are you a sinner? Have you ever lied, stolen, lusted, coveted, or been angry with someone unjustly? If so, then you have broken the Law of God. God has said "You shall not steal; You shall not lie; You shall have no other gods before Me; You shall not murder, etc.," (Exodus 20). He has given the standard of righteousness and if you have broken any of God's commandments then you have fallen short of that standard and are under the inevitable judgment of God. When you die you will face Him and on the Day of Judgment He will punish all sinners.
If you do not like this teaching, then throw away your Bible and turn from Christ, for this is the message of God's word -- that Jesus came to die for sinners and to save them from the wrath to come. God is holy and righteous and He must deal with those who sin against Him.
Jesus is the One you need. Him alone. Not your works (Rom. 3:10-12; Isaiah 64:6). Not your sincerity. Not your goodness. You have nothing to offer God except your sinfulness. It is only by the love and grace of God found in Jesus and His sacrifice that you can be delivered from the righteous wrath of God upon all who have broken His law. Jesus saves you from God.

God's wrath on the Day of Judgment is upon sinners

On the Day of Judgment God will judge all people for their sins against Him. He will judge all who have lied, stolen, cheated, lusted, dishonored their parents, etc. He will do this because He is holy and righteous. God must punish the sinner. God cannot and will not ignore the person who has broken His righteous law. The Law is a reflection of the character of God. Therefore, to break God's law is to offend God and deny the holiness of His character. He will be vindicated. He will judge.
The Bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23). That means that your sins have caused a separation between you and God (Isaiah 59:2) and the result is death (Rom. 6:23) and wrath (Eph. 2:3). The only way to be saved from the wrath of God, is by faith in Christ (Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 5:1). You must trust in what Jesus did on the cross to forgive you of your sins and not trust anything else, not even your own sincerity. That's right, sincerity isn't good enough. Why? Because sincerity is an appeal to God based on the goodness of your own heart. If you're appealing to God based on the goodness of your own heart, then you're being prideful. Sorry, salvation is either based on Christ alone, or it is not. This is why it is Jesus and only Jesus who can turn away the righteous judgment of God upon the sinner.

The Gospel

The gospel is that Jesus died for sinners on the cross, was buried, and rose from the dead (1 Cor. 15:1-4). His death was a sacrifice that turns away the wrath of God (1 John 2:2). This is the only way to be saved.
Jesus is the one who died for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). He is the only way to the God the Father (John 14:6). He alone reveals God (Matt. 11:27). He has all authority in heaven and earth (Matt. 28:18). It is only through Him that you can be saved from God's wrath (Eph. 2:3). He can forgive you of your sin (Luke 5:20; Matt. 9:2). He can remove the guilt that is upon your soul. Jesus can set you free from the bondage of sin that blinds your eyes, weakens your soul, and brings you to despair. He can do this because He bore sin in His body on the cross (1 Peter. 2:24) that those who trust in Him would be saved.
If you are not a Christian, and want to be delivered from the righteous judgment of God upon you due to your sin against Him, then come to the One who died for the sins of the world. Come to the One who died for sinners (Matt. 11:28). Turn from your sins. Believe and trust in Jesus. Receive Jesus, who is God in flesh, who died and rose from the dead (1 Cor. 15:1-4) as your Lord and Savior. Ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins. Receive him (John 1:12). Only He can wash you clean from your sins and only Jesus can deliver you from the righteous judgment of a holy and infinite God. Pray to Jesus. Seek Him. Ask Him to save you.
He will.
Here is a sample prayer you can offer to Jesus. It does not have to be exact, but you will get the idea.
Lord Jesus, I know that I have sinned against you. I know that I am not perfect and that I cannot please you through my own efforts. I know that I deserve to be judged according to my sins. And, I know that I have nothing to offer you.
Lord Jesus, I ask you to forgive me of my sins. Please cleanse me and make me right before you. I trust in what you have done on the cross. I do not rely on myself but only on you and I receive you as Lord of my life and as savior of my soul. Lord Jesus, save me. I look to you alone.
I would like to note, that the Jesus of Mormonism (the brother of the devil), the Jesus of the Jehovah's Witnesses (an angel made into a man), the Jesus of the New Age (a man in tune with the divine consciousness), etc., cannot save you from your sins. Faith is only as good as the person in whom you put it... the Jesus of the Bible. Jesus is God in flesh, the creator. God is a Trinity and Jesus is the second person of the trinity.
If you have prayed and asked Jesus to deliver you from your sins and save you from God's wrath, then please email us at CARM and let us know.
This article is also available in: Español, Norsk, Português, 中文

By Matt Slick

Quasar

Quote    Reply   

servant

#4 [url]

Nov 16 11 5:29 AM

The distinction between Jesus and the Father(Holy Spirit) makes all the difference. How can a person really understand salvation unless they know who Jesus is, and what He did for them, and who the Father is. Jesus makes the way to the Father for reconciliation.

Jesus came with the spirit of the Father to this earth. He is who the Father works through, but Jesus is not the Father. And as you have been saying for years now, the Father and Holy Spirit are the same person. Jesus himself said that He was going to be with One who was greater than Him.

My prayers go to the Father. I do talk with Jesus and thank Him for His sacrifice. He is my Savior and Lord. But all supplications and requests, honor, glory, worship goes to the Father.

At least the Trinity doctrine, or Nicean Creed makes the distinction in persons. Better than the idea that Jesus is the Father. They are one in that there is the Father's Spirit working in Jesus and He has all authority of the God head, and we become part of that loop when we come to Him in repentance for sins knowing that Jesus is the only way. The only sacrifice that is acceptable to the Father.

Pro 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help