Remove this ad

servant

Lead

Jul 3 13 6:18 AM

Tags : :

All through mythology whether that be Egyptian, Norse, Buddhist, Hindu,Islamic, or any other there is a reining deity. The structure of these kingdoms pattern themselves after the true Kingdom of God. So much so that in studying these religions, the Christian is wise to understand the true difference between them and the reigning deity above all, which is Christ. Each of these kingdoms hold some truth of who Christ was/is, and His character. They all hold to some sort of a “Christ consciousness” made up in their own minds.

Some consider Him only a man, a prophet who’s teachings and way of life are meant to be held in high regard and we should strive to meet those standards in our self. That He was just another example of how to reach paradise, or nirvana, or a more heavenly realm. But nothing else. In order to reach a “higher plane”, or utopia, nirvana, or heaven, a person has to lift themselves up to a certain spiritual plane on their own.

There are differences between this Christ consciousness and the real Christ. In all other kingdoms, the reigning deity has countless sons, daughters, and avatars (or manifestations of the reigning deity). Christ’s Father has begotten only one Son. We are called the sons of God if His Spirit is living and active in our own life, in our own selves, but He begat only One.

Even if there are accounts of other deities from other kingdoms that they were born of a virgin birth (which there are accounts of this), or that they were raised from the dead etc…None place the claim that the deity was the only begotten. And none lay claim that the father of that deity set his son as atonement for the sins of the world. Except the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I AM That I AM. This God, this Deity, has laid claim to that very thing. (and even if there were those who would lay claim to those things…the study and comparison of their life to that of Christ will show who the true Deity over all is)

By Jesus Christ as His only begotten Son, His Father proved to all creation that we cannot be good enough to enter into heaven on our own. It becomes quite clear when reading through the mythology of other religions, that the deities looked up to as examples to follow are not perfect. They are flawed and steeped in sin their own selves. None look after the good of those who they are supposed to be ruling over. All of mythology is based on pride and self serving. What I can get out of it, how I can be more powerful.

The main difference between Jesus Christ and these other reigning deities, is His suffering. There is something that has been bothering me for awhile about the life of Christ and His actions.

Luk 4:28 And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
Luk 4:29 And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.
Luk 4:30 But he passing through the midst of them went his way,

And

Mar 15:23 And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he received it not.

At the surface Luk 4:28-30 seems to be talking about Jesus saving Himself from death. I realize that it was not time for Him to die, that the prophecies in scripture would be fulfilled exactly. But why would Jesus spare Himself at that point? That is not in His nature, to ease His own suffering, or spare His own life.

Then in Mar 15:23 is this:

Mar 15:23 And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he received it not.

If Jesus spared His own suffering in Luk 4:28-30, why then, when He was suffering the most, did He not accept a small drink of wine to ease some of the pain of torture?

It occurred to me, then, that keeping with the character of Jesus, that His purpose in passing through the midst of them who would have thrown Him over the cliff, was somehow necessary so that He could bear the full measure of temptation and sin not. Wouldn’t death at that point been a comfort for Him? Just like making stones into bread in the wilderness of temptation would have comforted His own body.

As I was thinking about all of these things, and praying about how to put this together where it made sense for others, the Lord showed me a writing by Charles Spurgeon that is an excellent explanation of the difference between other deities, and Christ. Even if the focus is not on that subject.

http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols40-42/chs2443.pdf

Even though I have issues with the theology of many Christian commentators/teachers/evangelists about Jesus being the incarnate being of God, rather than the only begotten Son of God who was filled with the Spirit of God for His purpose, they do have a heart for God, and do have revelations from God in explaining some of these questions.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

quasar

Seasoned Member

#1 [url]

Jul 3 13 7:49 AM

Thanks for sharing, servant, as it is an interesting read.  Frankly, I fail to see where Jesus made any attempt to save or spare Himself from any of the atrocities directed at Him.  The drinks offered Him were most certainly not the same as the wine He drank with His disciples at the Passover supper, in Lk.22:17, where He told them He WOULD NOT DRINK AGAIN OF THE FRUIT OF THE VINE UNTIL THE KINGDOM OF GOD COMES.  Without a doubt, it was bitter.  Nor did He remove Himself from the cross as He had the power to do if it had been the will of God, which He asked for [this cup to pass from me] in the Garden, if it be God's will.  Jesus did not come in His first advent to take His position as the king of Israel, which He refused to do as recorded in Lk.19:38-39.

However, at His second coming, things will be entirely different, in a review of Rev.19:11-20 and 20:4 and 6 where He establishes His kingdom, the restored kingdom of Israel, where He will sit on the throne of David and reign as King of kings and Lord of lords, over all the nations of the earth, for 1,000 years.

Quasar

Quote    Reply   

servant

#2 [url]

Jul 3 13 9:06 AM

Sometimes a person's perspective of things can only be understood if you've walked in their shoes. No, Jesus didn't spare Himself from any of the atrocities. That was the point of the article.

Now the real point of what the Lord has been showing me is this taken from the article posted by Spurgeon..

When Christ was offered this cup, He would not receive it. Sometimes, Beloved,it is in your power to escape from sufferings for Christ’s sake—and you may rightly do so if you can escape from them without injuring the mission upon
which your Father has sent you—for as He sent His Son into the world, even so has He sent youinto the world. You have your mission and there are times when the acceptance of a cordial, or the reception of an escape from peril, would be a degradation to your high dignity, an injury to your office and, therefore, there are times when you should decline even the cup of consolation, itself. You and I are called to hold fellowship with Christ in His sufferings. Perhaps our business places us where we have to hold fellowship with Christ in the suffering of contempt. The finger is pointed at us. The lips are sometimes protruded in derision. Sometimes an expression is used towards us, calling us a hypocrite, a cant, a formalist. You may be apt to think, “Oh, that I could avoid all this! I wish I could escape.” Can you avoid it and serve your Master, as well? If you can, then drink the myrrh cup, and avoid the misery! But if you cannot—and if it is proven that your position is one of duty and one in which you can honor your Master—it is at your peril that you exchange your situation for an easier one, if you exchange it for one less useful!

“Oh,” says one, “I work among wicked men and I have to bear a testimony for the Truth of God in their midst. May I not leave the place at once? I feel that I am doing good, there, but the jeers and taunts are so hard to bear that the good I do seems to be always counterbalanced by the misery I suffer. ” Take care, take care, lest you let the flesh prevail over the spirit! It would be like a myrrh cup to you, for you to leave your job and go to another! It would be the removal of your pain, but ponder a long time before you do it, weigh it well. If your Maker has put you there, to suffer for His name’s sake, come not down from the cross to which He has nailed you by a daily crucifixion till you have suffered all! And take not the myrrh cup of an escape until you have borne all for Christ. I think it was holy Polycarp who, when the soldiers came to him to take him to prison, made his escape. But when he found, afterwards, that his doing so had dispirited some Christians and had been attributed to his cowardice—when next the soldiers presented themselves and he had an opportunity to escape, “No,” he said, “let me die.” It had been foolhardy of him if he had run into the teeth of men, the first time, in order to be put to death. But when he saw that hewould serve His Master better by His death than by His life, it would have been an unrighteous thing if He had drunk of the wine cup—if he had made his escape and not died for his Master’s sake.

O my Brothers and Sisters, I think that there are many cordials which the world, too, has to offer to the Christian which he must not drink because if his Master wishes him to have fellowship with Him in His suffering, it is his to suffer so far as his Master wills! You are, perhaps, a man or a woman of a sorrowful spirit. You are given to solitude and loneliness. There are certain amusements which some men say are harmless—they tell you that they are meant for you and ask you to go and take them. You
think, “Well, in my low state, surely I might take these things. If I were happy and joyous, I should not need them, but surely my Father, ‘like as a father pities his children,’ will pity me. And if I do these things, I do them merely for temporary comfort, for my heart seems as though it would break if I had not this little temporary excitement.”Take care, take care that it is not the wine cup that prevents you, my Friends! If your Master gives you the wine cup,the golden wine cup filled with the precious wine of the Covenant, the strong promises and sweet fellowship in Christ,drink it without a moment’s hesitation! Drink it and beglad, for God has said, “Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish,” and this is the strong drink He gives to you in the golden wine cup of the Savior’s fellowship. Drink it and be happy! But if men offer it to you, look long and hard before you drink it! It may be you may be right in drinkingit—it may not be a wrong thing—but it may be, too, that even a thing that is innocent to others, may be wrong to you! And the taking of that amusement and pleasure into your hands might be like our Savior’s taking the myrrh cup and drinking it. It would be a stultifying of you, a preventing you from learning all the lessons of your misery, from going in all the steps of your Redeemer who wishes us to follow Him through all the miseries which He has ordained for us, that they may be the means of fellowship with Him in His suffering. This is the only lesson I desire to give you at this time. If the Lord impresses it on our minds , it may be of use to us. Only let me say how many there are who would have drunk this wine cup if it had been offered to them! Your Savior has taken from you the desire of your eyes with a stroke! He has robbed you of one who is dear and near to you. Say, Christian, if you had had the myrrh cup put before you, if it had been said, “If you like, that loved one of yours shall live.” If it had been offered to you that the life that has been taken away should be spared—could you,with fortitude, have said,“Not my will, but Yours, be done”? Could you have put it away and said, “No, my Master, if this cup may not pass from me except I drink it, Your will be done. And what is more, if it may pass from me, if  I neednot the suffering, yet if I can honor You more by suffering, and if the loss of my beloved one will serve You and please You, then so let it be. I refuse the comfort when it comes in the way of Your honor. I reject the favored mercy if it comes in the teeth of Your Glory. I am willing to suffer— I care not for Your consolations if I can honor You better without them”? There are some among you in the time of mourning. Let me just, in conclusion, note a very beautiful thought of a good man on a passage of Scripture. Jesus says in His prayer,“Father, I will that they, also, whom You have given Me,be with Me where I am.” Do you know why good men die? Do you know why the righteous die? Shall I tell you what it is that kills them? It is Christ’s prayer—“Father, I will that theybe with Me.” It is that that fetches them up to Heaven!They would stay here if Christ did not pray them to death! Every time a Believer mounts from this earth to Heaven, it iscaused by Christ’s prayer. “Now,” says
this good old Divine, “many times Christ and His people pull against one anotherin prayer. You bend your knees in prayer and say, ‘Father, I will that they whom You have given me be with me where I am.’ Christ bends His knees and says, ‘Father, I will that they whom You have given Me be with Me where I am.’”So, you see, one gets hold of him, and the other, too. He cannot be in both places! The beloved one cannot be with Christ and with you, too! Now, what shall be the answer? Put the prayers side by side. You are praying, “Father, I will that they whom you have given me be with me where I am.” And there is your Savior, praying that they may be with Him where He is. Now, if you had your choice—if the King should step from His Throne
and say, “Here are two supplicants.They are praying opposite to one another—their prayers are clearly contrary to each other—I cannot answer them both.” Oh, I am sure, though it were agony, you would start from your feet, and say, “Jesus, not my will, but Yours be done.” You would give up your prayer for your sick husband’s life, for your sick wife’s life, for your dying child’s life, if you could realize the thought that Christ was praying in the opposite direction, “Father, I will that they whom You have given Me be with Me where I am.”

And now we come to the Supper of our Master! Oh, may the Master give us fellowship with Him! Poor sinners that know not Christ, I have hardly a moment in which to address you, but remember, the separation which will be made be-tween you and the Church, tonight, is but a picture of an awful separation which shall be made between you and the Church at the Last Great Day! You will sit upstairs, some of you, to look down upon the solemnity—remember, you may look upon it here, but you will not look upon it in Heaven unless your hearts are made new by Christ and unless you are washed in His precious blood?

Pro 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

Quote    Reply   

quasar

Seasoned Member

#3 [url]

Jul 3 13 8:05 PM

Sometimes a person's perspective of things can only be understood if you've walked in their shoes. No, Jesus didn't spare Himself from any of the atrocities. That was the point of the article.

Now the real point of what the Lord has been showing me is this taken from the article posted by Spurgeon..

That would equate into the very same thing as the OT Law that no one could accomplish, but Christ, would it not?  Since He fulfilled the Law for us, and paid our sin debt in full, past, present and future, we are seen by God in the same light as found in Rom.8:30 and in Eph.2:4-9.

Quasar

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help